Friday, November 12, 2010

One that's probably of no interest to anyone but me...

I've always admired the lovely slate roofs here and have noticed that they all have hooks scattered over them at regular intervals.  My aunt and I were discussing their purpose and concluded that they must be there to help people ascend or stay on in some manner.  But we couldn't quite figure out how.

Then, the other day, as I'm walking through Limpertsberg I spot a roofing van with this photo on the side:
Mystery solved!



















 See how they slip the ladder over the hook so they can climb up?

I feel so much better now that I have an answer to this burning question. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Well, that makes sense. I thought the hooks were to catch the snow (so it doesn't fall on people below).

    ReplyDelete